Saturday, July 26, 2008

When You Just Need Sleep

Once upon a time I began a day SO tired. Unbelievably tired. Like "Did I really get any sleep?" tired. It was a day made to nap. Yes, made to nap, as in if I didn't my patience would be stretched beyonds it's limits and my eyes would dry up and leave me blind. I just needed to lie down. My eyes needed to be closed and my vocal cords unused.
I was apprehensive of Providence sleeping too since the last time we napped together it ended up being a three hour nap, which though very nice and refreshing it then it took two hours for Providence to go to sleep that night, and I didn't want to go through that again (I am one of those people that just lie down and sleep, tossing for a half hour is agony to me. I used to boast a less then 5 min sleep time, now I think the average is around 10 minutes after the kid sleeps).

I came up with a grand plan, I would rest and she would do some quiet activity on the bed. Staying on the bed had a two fold reason, 1: It kept her out of trouble, you know trouble -like finding a flood in the bathroom because she was trying to mop, or a newly "reorganized" kitchen because she was trying to make it pretty, or how about finding all the clothes taken out of a dresser thats now filled up with kittens- that kind of trouble. 2: If I am going to be somewhat out of it I at least want her in the same room as me. I love having all this space but at times (like sleeping times, my sleeping times) I like Providence to be close by.

So I have the plan, now the only problem was finding an activity, a non-messy activity that was not only quiet but would hold her attention for awhile. I came up with making necklaces. She had gotten a little kit with all kinds of beads from her Gram while we were in Oregon, and this seemed like the perfect opportunity to break it open.



It did keep her occupied and quiet. She had a good time and no mess was made. And while I didn't get the best nap, it was enough to hold me off till bedtime, plus I got a wicked cool necklace out of it.

7 comments:

Shelley July 26, 2008 at 10:59 AM  

ventured here from Drea's blog; love your daughter's name :)

Osanna July 26, 2008 at 11:04 AM  

What a grand idea. Naps are awesome - and I'm glad you problem solved in order to get one. Way to go Gram with the necklace gift!

Ivanna July 26, 2008 at 11:07 AM  

I love your wicked cool necklace. Good idea.

Anonymous July 26, 2008 at 1:43 PM  

I'm so glad the beads provided you a little rest and Providence an enjoyable activity! That makes me feel happy.

Mason and Terri's Mom July 26, 2008 at 7:13 PM  

GREAT PLAN! No mess and a occupied kid, I'm there! Where did you get the necklace stuff from? Did I miss that part? I need some...ASAP!

btw, love the green on you gals!

Momathon July 28, 2008 at 8:32 PM  

Clever Mama.

Thomas Sutherlin August 1, 2008 at 12:12 AM  

oh my goodness!
I forgot how much I missed you guys until I looked at this and saw how much Providence has grown!!!
I love you both soooo much.
I hope I get to see you soon.

  © Blogger template 'Isfahan' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP