Sunday, January 20, 2008

What's in a Name?

Providence was given a kitten for Christmas by her Uncle, Auntie and their family. She's the cutest thing and we have been pleased to have this little girls affection as we settle in here. The evening she got her (for it was Christmas Eve not morning that the surprise arrived) Providence named her Squaw. A cute name, but my sisters back in California have a cat named...can you guess? Squaw! So I have been having a hard time calling this little one Squaw because it just doesn't seem to fit. Providence was very insistent though refusing any and all other suggestions. I have been calling her kitten, except when she climbs up my bare legs while I am eating breakfast, then she's "that cat" and gets shut up in my bedroom. Providence decided to change her name the other day to Thomasina which I was all for, even though that is the name she called my old cat Harley. So Thomasina it was, till 10 minutes later "Oh, mom I forgot, her name is Snowball." I was thinking "4-day-old snow on the side of the freeway" but I said "OK." Next thing I know "Oh, I mean her name is Raja." And two minutes later..."I actually mean her name is Aurora." It was at this point that I said if she changes her name so much it might get confusing, and Providence, thinking that was a lovely idea, decided that she will just be changing her name always. But even without a permanent name Providence adores this kitten, and for all of Providence's overflowing love, and by love I mean the way she makes the kitten walk, and dance, on two paws, puts her to bed, tucking her in with one hand while holding her down with the other, carrying her all over the house, tightly enough that it's hard to squirm, the kitten really loves her back, every night choosing to cuddle with Providence rather then with me, of course Providence is usually sleeping by the time she snuggles up next to her.

3 comments:

Drea January 20, 2008 at 2:43 PM  

I like snowball. Cause when she tells people that i think it'll bring a smile to them hehe.
SNOWBALL hehe.

Caleb named our fish.
The algae eater is SPAZ cause he is very SPAZ like... jerky movements (its a chinese one so they stay small)

And we have mickey and minnie the mickey mouse fish.

And then our two black ones are silk and sketch. One of them is really soft looking while the other one sketch has really jagged scales, looks sketchy :-)

The only one Caleb remembers the name to is Spaz hehe

Lis January 20, 2008 at 2:51 PM  

How cute, we never named out fish. Well Providence named the first three we got all "Zion" but when they passed on, and we got the new ones we just called them "fish". Do I have a problem or something, I call Providence "daughter" all the time too.

Anonymous January 25, 2008 at 11:42 PM  

So sweet! I bet she will find a name eventually that sticks. The kitten must know how much Providence loves her to be so forgiving, lol!

  © Blogger template 'Isfahan' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP