Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Letter Writting

When I recently received a product from Bambini Boutique to review for Simple I was surprised to find something extra in the package. It's a book called "Held in the Arms of Love" scattered throughout the pages are questions to ponder before you write a letter to your child in the blank pages at the end. One of the owners of Bambini Boutique whom I've emailed with back a forth a number of times actually wrote me a short note telling me that I was one of the inspirations for her to carry this book on her website, and wanted share it with me to give to Providence. Apparently a few years back the author sent 500 books to military personnel in combat.

I struggled with the idea of writing a letter to Providence, I would cry just thinking about it.
I kept thinking I want to live out what I want her to know. I want Providence to see in our interaction and the way I interact with everybody I meet how I wish her to live. I want to be an example to her, pointing her to Christ with each breath I take, not just with my words. Perhaps I was feeling that if I wrote a letter filled with what I want her to know I won't need to be here to show her. Silly thoughts I know, but when death touches you closely it stays close.

Thinking about what I would write made me wonder what her father would have written to her if he had known they would never meet. Which made me wonder why didn't I get the death letter I know had to have been written to me (before combat they all wrote one), what happened to it? What was written in it? For though I know what Joe's heart would say I wanted to read the words he wanted to leave me with, the words he wrote to comfort me when he was unable to.

All these wonderings would completely overwhelm my mind, tears would blur my vision, and my heart would feel like it was choking, suffocating each time I turned my thoughts to writing this letter.

Then today I checked out the authors website, Baby Love Letters. I spent a good while reading her "Friday letters" (more then my allotted computer time) and it made me desire to start some kind of written tradition. She had a lot of ideas on there, birthday letters and airplane letters but I think I will start with XOXO notes. Something small I can tackle first, something that makes my heart smile.

5 comments:

Anonymous May 14, 2008 at 8:06 AM  

Hi
I am the author of the book, Held in the Arms of Love. So excited to see that the Friday Letters blog is helpful to you. Love to touch base with you sometime.
Bev Hawley

Osanna May 14, 2008 at 8:30 AM  

Words are a gift. Write them to Providence!

Ivanna May 14, 2008 at 9:45 AM  

This is such a good idea. I love you!

Anonymous May 14, 2008 at 10:34 AM  

I think just writing down things that you feel in relation to being Providence's mom, even little things, will mean so much to her when she is much older. I would love to have something like that from a parent or grandparent who loved me!

VGS May 14, 2008 at 6:25 PM  

Hey Lis...my friends are doing something similar which is also really cool (and a little more tech-savy/hip). They've created a gmail account for their son (firstname.lastname@gmail.com) and send him emails every now and then. They initially just wanted to "reserve" that google account for him but now are using it as an e-journal that they plan to "give" him when he's older. I thought that was such a great idea. I kinda think I'd be more inclined to sit and type an email to Luke rather than send him a letter (which I would for sure loose over the years regardless of how safe a place I put it). Regardless of how you do it, I think it is a great idea. I just need the motivation to do the FIRST one. (Do I need a big event? What would I tell him?) By the way, Providence looks ADORABLE with her little tea set on the Simple review...does she still use her proper high, squeaky, British voice when she acts as the hostess? :o) Tori

  © Blogger template 'Isfahan' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP