Saturday, September 6, 2008

Green For Green

I like recycling, I like composting, I like bagging my groceries with the mis-matched cloth bags I carry around (and the few cents I save). My main household cleaner? Vinegar. I love the smell of clothes fresh off the line. I don't litter and in fact will from time to time clean up other peoples litter. I am a big supporter of breastfeeding, home births, cloth diapers, and baby wearing. I prefer to be natural in pretty much every aspect from using garlic to draw out infections, to applying oils instead of lotions, to my pine cat litter. A few years ago these things earned me a label of hippie from some friends (ok the lack of bra, and infrequent showers may have played a part) so when the the cutely coined phrase "green" came out I was happy to shed my hippieness which gave some dreadlocked, patchouli scented, grass smoking, bell-bottom wearing connotations which were not really me, in exchange for it.

Now it's so hip to Go Green, Be Green, Green Living. Good grief people. How different are you living? Is recycling and cloth bags really that new of a concept? It seems as though a volcano has erupted and the lava spewing forth is some kind of green muck. Don't get me wrong I'm glad to see others enjoying some of these things that I have been for most of my life, but now I don't want to be stuck with this label either, the connotations are even worse. Because you see, I like to eat meat, I wear leather shoes, I don't buy into the global warming propaganda and get sick of hearing about it, nor do I believe that the world is over-populated.

So if I don't think I am saving our planet one cloth bag at a time, but I still want to be a wise and faithful steward of the area's I have dominion over what does that make me?

Perhaps I'll go back to being called a hippie, I kind of like dreadlocks now.

7 comments:

Ivanna September 6, 2008 at 8:39 AM  

You said it, couldn't have said it better myself, boss. That's just what I was going to say.

Rosie September 6, 2008 at 9:27 AM  

Dreadlocks huh, that could be an interesting new look for you, hehe.

Andrea September 6, 2008 at 12:17 PM  

Haha! I love this post! I'm so with you on the over population and global warming thing. It's just dumb. And dread locks.... not a huge fan but you are such a beautiful girl I think you could pull off just about anything. ^_~ hehe!

Anonymous September 9, 2008 at 9:21 AM  

I think that would simply make you a wise and faithful steward.

big hair betty September 11, 2008 at 9:57 PM  

I love this too! Agree, agree, agree! In college I tried to do "no deoderant" which my friends from high school totally thought I'd gone off the deep end (I had to go back though, couldn't handle the smell!). I've always thought of myself as a "hippie at heart" because maybe there are some similarities to the natural living lifestyle, but really, the appearance of being a hippie is far from me!

Sarah September 11, 2008 at 10:49 PM  

Hey, it's Sarah from MySpace (just fyi) I have other friends on blogger so that's why I have an account but no real blog. But I am reading your blog from your link on your MySpace and I totally agree with what you are saying. Our church did a whole series on being green. It was really cool and informative. I agree the fad thing of being "green" is a bit much! I would say, your a definitely not a hippie, you are simply doing your part to take care of the only home God has given us. Even if you aren't "saving the world", you are being a good Christian by doing your part! Way to go!

Stacey October 10, 2008 at 4:55 PM  

totally ;)

This is an old post, but I just had to agree!

  © Blogger template 'Isfahan' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP