Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Hello Human

Learning that all mankind is human, Providence has taken to calling us just that. It's made for some comical sentences, like at church when she said "Mom, did you see that human help me?" While glad that she can tell the difference between human and non using the word to describe those around us sounds so mechanical but it makes me laugh every time.

Another thing that made me laugh was when we pulled out Dairy of a Fly by Doreen Cronin to read from our library bag. Chanting the title while we settled down Providence as usual wanted to "read" the title once more before I opened it and slowly said "Diarrhea of a Fly" I busted up, no wonder she was so excited to begin reading.

On another note, in church she bit herself when I told her she needed to be quiet. She did it again later in the day, and it rather disturbs me. It's not the first time she's inflicted injury on herself purposefully. There is a girl she looks up to and adores that bonks her head to be silly or when she's made a mistake or is embarrassed. Providence now does the same thing. Is this something to ignore, or talk about? I am extremely uncomfortable with it and have told Providence that we should not purposefully harm our bodies. We are after all a temple of the Lord and should be caring for our bodies as such right?

5 comments:

Drea September 30, 2008 at 8:10 AM  

Shes so cute. love her shirt :-)
Caleb has learned the word human.. but hasnt used it much yet. I have noticed he is obsessed with making all his stuff toys, girls.
And that when I get dress he says im a beautiful girl. Its sweet.

Nessa September 30, 2008 at 9:47 AM  

Love the shirt. Kayla knows humans by her and him.

Brittany Martin September 30, 2008 at 2:36 PM  

I don't know if it's the same kind of thing, but Ryle sometimes gets self-destructive after we tell him not to do something. He wants to play with something that's off-limits, we tell him "No," and then he'll bite or scratch himself. For him it was a way to be rebellious without screaming or hitting, so he still got disciplined. Now when he starts to do it, and he's caught, he pretends that he's just joking. Usually then he just needs a reminder that biting/scratching/etc. himself isn't allowed.

I hope this helps!

Sarah September 30, 2008 at 2:37 PM  

Your story reminds me of the movie "Mr Magorium's Wonder Emporium" when he calls the accountant "mutant" because he believes the title is a mix of a mutant who counts, lol! I wouldn't worry about the biting thing too much. Keep reminding her not to do it, but I think it can be a fairly normal thing kids go through. Ashley did it for a brief time when she would get mad or was in trouble, I think because she knew it got our attention to make her stop. She doesn't do it anymore. Providence probably is mimicing her friend. My advice is to try to redirect her to something more productive. Good luck human ;)

Momathon October 2, 2008 at 11:59 AM  

Boy-A-Thon used to bite his hand when he got in "trouble", too. It disturbed me to no end. He told me it was more out of frustration than trying to hurt himself. We got him a punching bag to use instead, and that was/is still a HUGE help. Though, sometimes he still resorts to old habits, I feel a lot better knowing it's not self destructive so much as like thinking or saying "Dangit!"

  © Blogger template 'Isfahan' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP