Sunday, October 12, 2008

Years Past: Part VI

In my teen years someone from my circle discovered how to make a tattoo gun with a walkman motor and guitar string, so most if not all of my friends sported at least one homemade tat from someone or other (I know my brother is responsible for some of those horrors). Basically it was like doodling something on a piece of paper only instead it's someones arm...think uneven mess. Think really, really smart.

As a silly 15 year old, one evening I thought it was high time I too had one of these beauty's and proceeded to use a safety pin and pen ink. Not my first run it with safety pins...I'd also used them to pierce my eyebrow on multiple occasions as well as my bellybutton and additional holes in my ears. However after a few rounds of my current safety pin project I decided it wasn't getting it done and I needed the "gun" (if you could call it that) since it was taking soooo long.

It ended up so small and hoopty that I've never really called it real, and until I actually got a tattoo (professionally) if anyone asked if I had one I'd say no, not wanting to show my quarter inch 7 and explain why it's there.

I must say I am grateful that I chose to make it so tiny since it hasn't faded at all and I was so sure it would. I've thought about doing something little to cover it up, and perhaps at some point I will. But for now when I see it I'm reminded of what I was and the work Christ has done in my life, and we all should have some kind of reminder for that.

4 comments:

Sarah October 13, 2008 at 12:06 AM  

I think it's so great when people can look back and see how far they have grown and be proud of the positive changes we have made. I was lucky enough to avoid the homemade tattoo phase myself, but in Hawaii I got a small four leaf clover on my lower back (we got married on St. Patricks Day). I will be glad to tell Ashley why I got it, how long it took me to decide, and how grateful I chose a small one in a discrete place :)

Deepa October 13, 2008 at 12:38 AM  

I got a second piercing on my ears on a whim...funnily, I got it done on Indian Independence day and proudly told my parents that it symbolized my independence from them! I had it on for 2 years and then got bored. I dont wear earrings on them now, but the piercing just wont close...to me, its a reminder of the scars that impulsive actions can produce... Also, I don't know if I can ever be totally independent from my parents!
I'm so glad mine's just a pierciong and not a tatoo....still, the lesson learnt is the same!

Drea October 13, 2008 at 6:51 AM  

Now this would of been the perfect post to show ur tattoo :-) after all ive only seen one pic myself.
You were tough tho.. I cannot imagine using a safety pin and guitar string to do a tattoo... Im to weird w/ needles.

What would you do if Providence at age 16 asked for one?

Rosie October 13, 2008 at 6:10 PM  

Yep, I to as your 15 year old impulsive friend, sport one of those sweet baby's on my forearm. And one from Aaron on my ankle. luckily people usually don't notice it. Hopefully our kids are smarter than us.

  © Blogger template 'Isfahan' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP