Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Esteem Thyself

Recently Providence told me very matter-of-factly "I don't sing really well cause I don't have a good voice, huh." Surprised and slightly horrified that my precious three year old daughter would think such a thing I asked "Who told you that, honey? I think you have a wonderful voice and I love to hear you sing." She carefree as ever, and not in the least horrified, replied "No one told me I just said it cause I don't have a good voice." I reiterated that I do love to hear her sing, and think her voice is lovely. Her "revelation" didn't seem to have any adverse effect on her, she still sings (quite loudly) and enjoys doing so. At first I wondered why my daughter would think so negatively of herself at her age, doesn't that not come till later? Then I thought she doesn't even know what she's saying...maybe she heard someone else say something about themselves having a bad voice and then repeated it...and then I thought you know maybe she just doesn't care. Maybe she realizes that the Lord gave her this voice, she loves to sing, and that's what matters to her. Our society gets so caught up in self esteem, whether good or bad, and maybe it's just the absence of it that is the right balance. Esteeming Christ, and in that, esteeming the creatures that He's made, especially the ones He's made in His image. Which, of course, would include ourselves but reaching much higher and spreading much further. For if we are called unto Him, in Him is our worth.

In other news:

Providence completed construction on a library, to house all our books. Somehow I don't think they'll fit.


Aaron killed one of their ducks and we ate it. I just did a bit of clean up work, Aaron did everything else including the majority of plucking. Kelsey made me take a picture holding the cooked duck, luring me in by saying we were each going to take a picture with it. Well that didn't happen, Kelsey is very sneaky with pictures. *Their male ducks were homicidal, and one of them had already been killed by the others, and this way at least it wasn't killed in vain*

I love it when the cousins all play together nicely.

6 comments:

Anonymous March 12, 2008 at 8:20 AM  

Was it yummy? I love this post, what a great reminder!

Anonymous March 12, 2008 at 11:32 AM  

Providence is growing up sooo fast! I think she has the most beautiful voice in the world. When she sings she sounds like an angel to me.

The duck looks really good! Can't get any fresher than that!

Drea March 12, 2008 at 6:35 PM  

Thats what that duck gets for being so mean! :-)

It looks yummy.. although I have no clue what duck taste like personally. :-)

You look cute in that last pic 2. love ur earrings!

Mrs. Schwager March 12, 2008 at 7:53 PM  

that's really funny about the singing. i love the way she sings. but i have this same kind of thought about my children. they sing loud, but not really well. i hope to get them some kind of training, just so they can enjoy making something beautiful with their voices, but you are right on about the esteem. we can get training to do the best that we can do, but in the end, it's the voice you have and you don't get a pass on praising God even if your voice doesn't sound so great!

Anonymous March 13, 2008 at 6:40 PM  

Hi Lis! I know I haven't commented yet, but I have been reading for a while and am really enjoying your blog. Providence is such a character!
By the way, I "tagged" you on my blog to come up with a list of 6 quirks about yourself to share with everyone. :)

faithsalutes March 17, 2008 at 11:22 AM  

I cannot sing either. Duck is good.

  © Blogger template 'Isfahan' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP