Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Learning Story Telling

I grew up with story telling. My dad tells a fantastic story. As children we would often have him to repeat them over and over, even now we request his stories, made up or real. Our favorites are from his childhood, and we know a number of them by heart, and though we like his telling the best we at times "correct" my dad if he leaves something out. My mom reads her stories, and story reading is an art too. I remember many nights all the children curled up in bed with her while she read to us. This rooted in us a love of stories, by mouth or the written word.

I remember after boot camp Joe returned with the ability to entertain with his stories. Many of us would listen to them often, as he would even act out his stories often throwing us into fits of laughter.

Providence has learned this love also, lately we have been story telling together each taking turns with a few lines and going back and forth like that. It has made for some interesting stories, usually including magical creatures and princesses. The stories always end "happily ever after" though each have their low parts. A recent one including the bad dragon rising from the dead, not once but twice. Thankfully the magical dog, cat, and bunny (that can squeeze under the gate like Peter Rabbit) killed it, the end.

3 comments:

Osanna March 26, 2008 at 5:46 PM  

Sweet! I'm so glad you are getting her to tell stories... it is a gift!

Anonymous March 26, 2008 at 10:34 PM  

Joe was so good at telling stories after boot camp! What a great time we had listening/watching those stories he would tell and then act out. Remember the chicken walk? That was awesome! Providence is doing great. "And suddenly," and "So then," are great ways to start.

Anonymous March 27, 2008 at 2:05 AM  

Storytelling is so great! I love it! I remember when Joey worked at Central Home Supply, it seemed like he came home with a new story almost every day! It was the highlight of my day, he always made me laugh. I'm so glad Providence loves stories!

  © Blogger template 'Isfahan' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP